People are always talking about the bad things about ADHD. It is, after all, both a deficit and a disorder. Or a difference in my opinion.
There are some good things, though, about having Attention Deficit Disorder. Here are five:
1. You notice things others miss. Yes, it’s true. We are always being accused of missing things – not paying attention, not focusing. But at the same time, we often notice details that others miss.
2. You are a creative person. People with ADHD are often very creative. Watch Robin Williams do stand up or a talk show interview and you will conclude that a) he’s very creative and b) he must have ADHD. (I don’t know that for sure. I’m just guessing.) You have your own creativity too, whether it’s cooking or drawing or whatever.
3. Speaking of creativity you also have the ability to think outside the box. You come up with ideas and solutions that no one else would think of. The phrase “That’s so crazy it might just work!” was made for people like us.
4. You could multi-task before the term “multi-tasking” was invented. It’s how we’ve lived our whole lives and we’re pretty darn good at it.
5. You’re just a big kid. Hey, there’s nothing wrong with being a kid once in a while, as long as you still pay the bills. Overgrown children make the best ever aunts, uncles and grandparents. Plus being a kid now and then keeps you young.
There now. Aren’t you holding up your head just a little bit more?