Are you like me? Anything that has the word “organizing” in it captures my immediate attention. Deep down I think that if I can just find the right book, product, or system, everything will magically be organized forever and ever more.
I don’t think that such a thing exists. We just have to find what’s right for us and do the best we can. Here are 5 tips to get you started.
1. Have a plan and a schedule. Don’t just jump in one day at random and expect to accomplish much. It can happen, but it’s probably not the best way to do it.
2. Pick a smallish spot and give yourself a few hours. Remember to turn off your phone and shut your laptop. Instead, play some great music. And if you can get everyone out of the house, even better.
3. Make things easier to put away than they are to take out. If you’re looking for that perfect color of eyeshadow and you own 40 or 50 of them, you’re willing to dump them out and look for it. Then when you are done, all you have to do is throw them all back into the basket they were stored in.
4. Containerize everything. Put all of your like things together and store them in a box, basket, or other container. It keeps everything in order and you can do this all over the house, including the refrigerator. Get creative for containers. I’ve used shoeboxes, leftover plastic containers from food items, baskets, and even dishes like casserole dishes.
5. Do it more than once. You know there is no magic system that will stay organized forever and ever more, right? Just keep up the minor maintenance and you won’t have to worry about it. Seriously, it takes a minute or two to restore order versus hours getting it back in shape.
What is your favorite tip for organizing?