31 Day Challenge: Day 16
Yesterday we talked about why order is a problem for us; today I’m going to list some possible solutions for you to try.
Ready? Here goes:
- Make sure that everything in your home has a designated spot to be stored
- De-clutter daily
- Remember to put things away when you are done with them
- Throw trash away
- Make a decision with each piece of mail as soon as it comes into your home and put it where it belongs
- Edit your possessions; how much of any one thing do you need?
- Make things easily accessible by their point of use
- Make things easier to put away than to take out
- Store like things together in containers
- Do not buy containers for organizing until you have cleared the space and measured it
- Shop the house first for things you can use to contain your belongings. Repurpose things such as shoe boxes, cereal boxes, plasticware, and jars.
- Don’t forget places like your refrigerator. You can buy containers meant for fridge organization or use your own.
- Put small chunks of time to use clearing out a drawer or putting something away
- Learn to multitask while on the phone or watching TV; you can also clear out a drawer, fold some clothes, or clear the clutter out of a room.
- Get a safe deposit box at the bank or a fireproof box to hold important papers
- File papers like warranties and manuals under the room the object is located. The paperwork for your new stove, for instance, would be filed under kitchen.
- Designate a specific spot in your home for important papers like permission slips, tickets, etc. Add a container for them. No more lost items stored in a “safe spot”!
- Check Pinterest for lots of great ideas for organizing
- Remember that even great organization needs regular attention to keep it that way