Yep, that’s right. One of the easiest ways to improve your focus is to drink water, preferably throughout the day. And preferably from a glass or reusable container rather than a plastic bottle cause there are way too many in our landfills already.
When you are well hydrated your ability to think clearly is improved. This is because our bodies are made up mostly of water and water is in many ways the fuel our body uses to function.
Water helps transport vitamins and nutrients throughout the body and flushes out toxins and waste. That means that in addition to being more focused, you will also be healthier and might even lose a little weight. Even your skin will look better.
Here are some tips about water to keep in mind:
- If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Drink some water!
- If the skin on the back of your hand takes a few seconds to snap back after you pull it, you’re dehydrated. Drink some water!
- Try to have a glass of water every hour or so.
- Sometimes it’s easier to drink your water when you use a smaller glass. I have 6 oz. cups in our water dispenser and they make it easy to drink a glass or two.
- If it’s hot or you’re exercising and therefore sweating, you will need additional water to replace what you are losing.
- It’s OK to make some of your water requirements flavored drinks like lemonade, but not all.
- Anything with caffeine doesn’t count as water because it makes you go to the bathroom more and you end up losing more than you put in.
- Infused water is an excellent way to get your share with a little taste. You can use citrus slices, berries, or even herbs. Prepare it in advance in order to let the flavors come out.
- Keep a glass of water on your nightstand in case you get thirsty during the night.
- Everyone has different needs when it comes to water. Don’t assume that 8 glasses is right for you.
- Certain fruits and vegetables have a high water content and can count as water intake, such as watermelon or cucumbers.
- If you have trouble getting into the habit of drinking enough water, tie it to another habit, such as taking a break.
Have I convinced you yet?
Go have a glass of water!