31 Day Challenge: Day 8
When we look around our homes and think about order, it can be overwhelming. There is just so much that needs to be done. Where do we begin?
There are a lot of ways to choose where to begin: you might do the most pressing area first, or the messiest, or even the easiest, just to give you a sense of success. There is no right or wrong place to begin; just do it.
Here are 5 tips to help:
- If you just can’t figure out where to start, then begin with the trash. Get a trash bag and start with the room you are in. Pick up any obvious trash and get rid of it.
- Be sure that you are not taking on more than you should. Anytime you are decluttering, you need to keep the area size small. A closet, for instance, is too big. Start with one shelf or the floor and just do that.
- You can always schedule in time to restore order, but it’s also helpful to clear as you go. If you see a plate as you walk through the living room, pick it up and put it in the kitchen, preferably in the sink or dishwasher.
- If you plan on doing an extended clearing session, first do plan and schedule it. On the big day, wear comfortable clothes, drink plenty of water, play some good music, and take a break every 15 minutes.
- Realize that this is not a once in a lifetime job. You will need to keep up on the decluttering on a regular basis. The good news is that when you find a system that truly works, it takes far less work to keep it neat.
Give this a try right now.
Look around right where you are and find a thing or two that doesn’t belong. Go get it and deal with it. If it doesn’t have a home, find a box or basket or place to put it for now.
5 minutes or less. That’s all the time it will take you.
Now imagine doing that every time a commercial comes on TV.